Wednesday, May 11, 2005

a great day for freedom

The earth is starting to warm the northern hemisphere as the season advances towards the northern hemisphere experiencing summer. The air, being so warm, is able to absorb a great deal of water and is thus extremely humid in this northern alabama city; a city in the midst of the blanket of forrested land stretching throught the tennesee valley.

Yesterday I took it upon myself to roller blade to the river and back. I decided to bring along some music and chose Tool's Lateralus album. I had never really timed my pilgrimage to the river but this time I was able to time it to the album. I managed to make it to the river, sit and watch the beautiful reflection of Sol accross the river (which stretches for about half a mile between its banks), and return the the place from whence I came.

All told, the journey was about a 12 mile round trip done in about 40 minutes (about a 3 minute mile pace). I have, over the past year, made an effort to take the journey at least once weekly as a way in which to enrich the spirit.

The connection that I feel while gliding along the pavement is irreplaceable; I cannot think of another sensation like it. It is the most wonderful feeling once you get to a good cruising speed (approximately 27mph) and have the skates moving in such a way that the previous stroke perpetuates the motion and leads to the next. Once at the cruising speed one can take a sharp turn with a mere stepping motion along the turn and most of their energy is merely slingshotted into the new direction.

Roller blading is truly a unique experience; I find it to be most therapeutic indeed...

The Other Side Of The World

I Won't Think It
I Won't Speak It
But I Feel It
And I See It
And It Comes Down
And Surrounds Us
With Sensation
With Perfection
Without Purpose
And There's Colour
And There's Light
And There's Movement
On The Other Side Of The World

With Each Movement
New Reactions
Cause Sensations
Which Move Through Us
And The Warm Wind
Kissed Your Body
And The Sun Was Rising
On The Other Side Of The World
And There's Colour
And There's Light
And Sensation
On The Other Side Of The World

Now I Breathe It
And I See It
Before Thinking
And It's Perfect
Without Purpose
And There's Colour
And There's Light
And They're Rising
On The Other Side Of The World

No comments: